jeudi, août 30, 2007

CAMILLA DECLINES DIANA MEMORIAL INVITATION


British royal CAMILLA, DUCHESS OF CORNWALL has announced she will not attend Friday's (31Aug07) memorial service for DIANA, PRINCESS OF WALES, following weeks of fierce debate in the U.K. press. Diana, who died 10 years ago in a car accident in Paris, France, famously branded Prince Charles' second wife the "third person" in her own marriage to the heir to the throne before their divorce in 1996. But despite the tensions, Diana's children Princes William and Harry invited Camilla to Friday's service, which marks the 10th anniversary of the tragedy that brought the world to a standstill in 1997. Following weeks of British newspaper editorials over whether she should accept or not, Camilla has decided her presence "could divert attention from the purpose of the occasion" and so has decided not to attend, although she was "touched" to be invited. In a statement, she says, "I accepted and wanted to support them. "However, on reflection I believe my attendance could divert attention from the purpose of the occasion, which is to focus on the life and service of Diana. "I'm grateful to my husband, William and Harry for supporting my decision."
I think this is better for her and us.