vendredi, février 10, 2006

SAD & DISAPPOINTED..

Last Wednesday February 8th, 2006, I finished reading the book of Thomas L.Friedman that i bought from the UN headquarters in New York City last October,"From Beirut To Jerusalem".
For almost four months, I have lived nightly with its writer and I shared him the different historical steps that the Middle East has known: Lebanese civil war, Israeli siege of Beirut, withdrawal of the Palestinian Liberation Organisation PLO to Tunis, syrian affair, the Gulf war and the peace talks.
The book, which is a mix of personal biography and points of view, but also it is a report of history and realities that covered the period from 1979 until 1995.
Finishing reading it, I felt sad ( as usual as I finish a book).
Now, looking at the current scene in the ME, particularly in Palestine, the unstability, the going back and forth of the peace treaty, the Hamas-winning of the legeslative elections and the Israeli's disengagement of their committments, I feel very disappointed.
I had had strong belief in establishing peace in that part of the world. Today, I am thinking to give-up...